Let’s face it. Slip-and-fall accidents happen…more often than most victims would like to admit. One minute, you’re strutting down the sidewalk. The next you’re doing an unplanned faceplant into the pavement. Falls are not glamorous, but they are surprisingly common. And gathering evidence of the incident is the key to building a soild claim!
But here’s the good news: you are NOT powerless in this situation. Like a world-class detective gathering clues at a crime scene, you can build a strong case if you know what evidence to collect. Think of it as building your own insurance policy against possible injustice. Here are some pointers on what you need to do after a slip-and-fall incident:
Document the Scene of the Slip-and-Fall
Consider yourself a photographer on assignment. Every detail matters, so be sure to whip out your phone and capture some crucial photographic evidence:
The Slippery Suspect
– Whether it is a suspicious puddle, an obvious crack in a sidewalk, or patch of oil or other slippery substance that had not been cleaned up, get close-up photos of the hazard from a variety of angles.
Get the WHOLE Picture
– Don’t forget the CONTEXT. Take additional shots of the surrounding area, including lighting conditions, construction areas, and witnesses if available. Having this documentation can help set the stage for your case.
Remember. Time is of the essence. Evidence can quickly disappear or get cleaned up. Snap fast before the evidence that can help you disappears.
Gather the “Body” of Evidence
We get it. If you’ve been injured, you may be embarrassed to document your injuries, but it is truly necessary. Think of getting injuries checked, logged, and treated as like collecting fingerprints at a crime scene, because they will help determine the culprit. When it comes to documenting injuries, it’s critical to do the following:
Seek Medical Attention
– This is NOT optional! Get checked out, even if you consider the injury minor. And be aware of the timing. In Florida, for example, you need to receive a medical evaluation no later than 14 days after the injury. Once you’ve been treated, keep copies of all medical records and bills. They will prove vital to your case.
Keep a Pain “Diary” – Create and maintain a journal where you note how you feel, treatment received, and what you were able to do/not do on a daily basis. This is an all important first hand account that tracks your recover and demonstrates how the incident affects your daily life.
Reach Out to Witnesses
Did anyone see your slip-and-fall? Track down potential witnesses. Get their names, contact information, and a brief statement about what they saw. In addition, ask if they took any photos or video. The more evidence you have, the more help for your case potentially.
Maintain an Accurate Paper Trail
We get it. Paperwork is boring, and it’s a hassle to track down and keep organized. However, it’s vital to the success of your slip-and-fall case. Be sure to acquire and keep copies of:
– If you filed one with the property owner or manager, make sure you get a copy. In most cases, it’s the “official” documentation of your slip-and-fall incident.
– Were there complaints about the area you slipped and fell in PRIOR to your incident? Past records can be extremely beneficial, revealing potential negligence.
– If the incident that injured you took place as the result of a crime, it will be documented in a police report. Don’t be afraid to request this paperwork!
And Finally…Consult one of the expert Slip-and-Fall Attorneys at GOLDLAW!
The experts at GOLDLAW are true legal superheroes! They come armed with the knowledge and experience to help you navigate the claims process. Don’t go it alone…it’s too complicated. The GOLDLAW legal team are Palm Beach County’s slip-and-fall experts. They will handle your claim and the insurance companies while you focus on what’s really important: getting better, and getting back to life with your family.
So, there you have it. By gathering evidence, you’re not just picking up the pieces after a fall – you’re building a case that can help you get the compensation you rightly deserve. Remember; knowledge is power, and with these tips, you’ll be ready to face any legal obstacle! Stay safe out there, and remember: gravity may have won the first round, but you and your GOLDLAW slip-and-fall lawyer can win the case!
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip-and-fall incident caused by the negligence of a property owner in the West Palm Beach area, the GOLDLAW team is ready to step in and help! Our firm has the resources and experience necessary to handle all aspects of your claim, and we want to get to work helping you today. When you need a West Palm Beach Slip-and-fall lawyer, “choose the 2’s,” and call GOLDLAW at 561-222-2222 for a FREE consultation today.