Although relatively new to the GOLDLAW team, – he joined the firm in early 2020 – Rafael’s impact has been significant.
Born in Cuba, his family immigrated to the United States when he was just 10 months old. Raised in Miami, Rafael graduated from Florida State University before attending the St. Thomas University School of Law, where he was a member of the Charter Class, earning his JD in 1987.
Rafael began his legal career as a law clerk for prominent personal injury firms in South Florida in 1986. He cut his teeth in the courtroom advocating for his injured clients as an associate attorney for many years, before earning his first partnership at a well-known West Palm Beach firm.
Fluent in Spanish, he is extremely proud to serve the Hispanic population of Palm Beach County, both by representing individuals and families, as well as civil and legal associations that benefit these communities. Rafael has earned many important accolades and secured millions in verdict and settlement recoveries for hundreds of injured clients. He has demonstrated a level of expertise achieved by only 1% of Florida attorneys as a Board-Certified Civil Trial Lawyer® for cases involving wrongful death, catastrophic automobile accidents, and slip and falls.
- Rafael has long been committed to serving the Hispanic communities of Palm Beach County. He is a past President of the Minority Affairs Committee for the Palm Beach County Bar Association, and past Chairman of the Hispanic Affairs Committee for the City of West Palm Beach.
- In 2001, he was appointed as Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Hispanic Human Resources Council, Inc., an organization dedicated to advancing the rights of the Hispanic Community in Palm Beach County. He has volunteered with the HHRC for more than 25 years.
GETTING TO KNOW RAFAEL…
- Rafael is the proud father of three grown kids, and will be celebrating the 26th Birthday of his youngest son by going sky-diving!
- Has a passion for the outdoors…both under water and in the mountains.
- Growing up in Florida, he is a longtime scuba diver and fisherman.
- Has free-dived down to 55’…holding his breath for over three minutes!
- Best catch: A trophy-sized hog fish off the beach in Abaco, Bahamas.
- An avid hunter, he has gone on numerous trips for white tail, mule deer, and elk, both in Colorado and Montana.
- Loves to cook, especially wild game and fish he has harvested.
- Movie – “Casablanca”
- TV Show – M*A*S*H
- Book – anything by Robert Ludlum
- Loves to ski, with “the last spot” being his favorite, although Aspen is near-and-dear to him…
ON THE BUCKET LIST…
- To finally bag the bull elk that has been eluding him on a future hunting trip to Montana!
Leadership, Honors, & Community
What has set Mr. Roca apart from his peers throughout his long and successful career is his commitment and dedication to his professional volunteer activities, serving in leadership roles on many boards, associations, and non-profit efforts that are near and dear to his heart.
Among his many endeavors is his continued commitment to serving the Hispanic communities of South Florida, serving as past President of the Minority Affairs Committee for the Palm Beach County Bar Association, and past Chairman of the Hispanic Affairs Committee for the City of West Palm Beach. His other affiliations include leadership roles at the Hispanic Bar Association.
In 2021, Mr. Roca was appointed as Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Hispanic Human Resources Council, Inc, an organization dedicated to advancing the rights of the hispanic community in Palm Beach County. Mr. Roca has volunteered with the HHRC for more than 16 years.
In addition, Mr. Roca boast many professional achievements and associations, including consistent rankings by SuperLawyers®, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, The Florida Justice Association, The American Association for Justice, The Florida Lawyers Action Group, and the Endowment for Academic Giving to Law and Education.
The leading rule for the lawyer, as for the man of every calling, is diligence.