Enora Lavenir died on August 7, 2021, after the 19-month-old was exposed to fentanyl in a vacation house in Wellington that her family was renting. Her family has filed a wrongful death claim in Palm Beach Circuit Court.
The infant, her parents Lydie and Boris Lavenir, and older sister were staying at a home rented through Airbnb while on vacation from Guadeloupe, an overseas region of France located in the Caribbean.
According to the lawsuit, Enora Lavenir was napping in the house with her older sister on August 7, 2021. When her mother, Lydie, went to check on the children, she found the baby “unresponsive and foaming from the mouth.” Enora Lavenir was rushed to Palms West Hospital in Wellington, where she was pronounced deceased.
Acute Fentanyl Toxicity Cause of Death, According to Palm Beach County Medical Examiner
An autopsy revealed that Enora Lavenir died after ingesting fentanyl, although an incident report did not reveal how the toddler was exposed to the deadly drug. The death occurred just one day after the family arrived in Florida. Following a search of the home by the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office, no illicit drugs were found at the property, and both parents tested negative for drugs.
Suit Alleges Negligence on the Part of Airbnb and Prior Tenant
The Lavenir’s family lawyer, Thomas Scolaro of Leesfield Scolaro, said Enora Lavenir did not leave the home after the time the family checked in. “This baby never left the unit,” said Scolaro. “She was always inside the Airbnb. She didn’t go outside. They didn’t travel with her. So she was exposed inside that Airbnb, 100 percent.”
The lawsuit alleges that Airbnb breached it’s duty of care by failing to ensure that the home had been properly cleaned, and in failing to notify the Lavenir family that drugs had been used in the home. The prior renter told investigators that 10 to 12 people stayed at the home in early August of 2021, and that the group used cocaine and marijuana in the home. The individual denied there was any fentanyl present. Airbnb has yet to file a formal response with the court.
Property Owners/Managers Responsible For the Safety of Tenants
“In terms of culpability, it’s very simple,” Scolaro said. “If you are in the business of renting out homes and you tell people it’s safe and secure and it’s sanitary and you end up having a baby killed as a result (of the negligence), you should expect to be sued and rightly so.”
GOLDLAW Has Represented Clients in Similar Cases
GOLDLAW has been successful in obtaining recoveries for clients who have filed claims similar to the one brought by the Lavenir family. Do you have a family member who died or was injured due to the negligence of a property owner or those managing the property? Call one of our West Palm Beach wrongful death and premises liability attorneys at (561) 222-2222 for a COMPLIMENTARY consultation about your rights as a family member!
Notice: As a personal injury firm, we frequently provide legal analysis and opinion on news stories in the hope that the family and friends of the victims may gain some valuable insight into our theories of negligence surrounding the available facts. Respectfully, our hearts and thoughts are with those who have suffered a catastrophic injury or death.
Choose the 2s! Choose GOLDLAW!
Abogados GOLDLAW tu solución para accidentes con lesión.